Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11: 2001, 2009, and 2012

11 years ago, I was teaching percussion parts to a special topics class of innocent West Virginia 5th graders when I heard the horrible news.  Jon and I had just met one month earlier and I remember calling him and my mom and everyone else I knew and loved.  Many of the parents rushed to the school to pick up their children.  We all just wanted to hold on tight to the people we loved, not fully comprehending what had just happened and having no clue what was going to happen next.

3 years ago, at that same time, I was in labor after having been induced at 7:00 am with our second child: the giant, sweet, Ethan Jon Burbank.  He arrived in the afternoon, right in the middle of Days of Our Lives, and in enough time to allow my OB to make his tee time.

Today, I told both stories to a music class of South Carolina 3rd graders, none of whom were even conceived yet on September 11, 2001.  They sang God Bless America from their hearts.  All adults in the room became teary-eyed.

September 11. Different years = Different outcomes. Life is amazingly wonderful and unpredictable and scary.
We celebrated this guy's third big one on Sunday with a morning trip to the zoo and an afternoon party at My Gym, his most favorite place of all.  I took a lot of great photos and will post more when I have time.  Here's a favorite, though... those chubby cheeks blowing out the candle on his pirate cake.

Happy 3rd Birthday, Bogbear.  Love you.  Thank you for making today's date a wonderful one once again.

No comments: