Sunday, September 25, 2011

First 5K (in a while)!

This morning, Jon and I successfully completed our first 5K road race in Columbia's beautiful Vista district. I say "first" loosely because we HAVE run 5Ks in the past but it's been over two years for Jon (see this photo... I walked that one since I was preggers with Ethan) and six years for me. My last actual RUNNING race was in West Virginia in 2005. So, long story short, we were due.
I have been "training" (again, mentioned loosely) with the help of the Couch to 5K Droid app. It is wonderful and perfect IF you follow it. However, I have learned that if you try to cram 9 weeks of running into 7 weeks, as I did, then you get to the 5K and the hills kick your butt. But, alas, procrastination is kind of the story of my life and it usually works out well for me.

My objective was to enjoy myself today, which I did (except for those blasted hills up Lady and Gervais Streets). My goal was to run the whole time, and I did not meet this. I walked up those hills. Still, I finished with a time of 39:16 and Jon's time was around 30:00.

As the photos will suggest, I could still stand to lose about 20 pounds. If my diet resembled my running AT ALL, I would be at least 10 lbs lighter today. [sigh] That will come. One thing at a time.

So, the mantra is this: Train. FOR REAL. No excuses. Hills, shmills. I have definitely been bitten by the running bug (again), as has Jon, and we are getting serious about this NOW. Here are some more photos of the day.

Grandmas Diana and Cathy wrangled the boys during the run. Cathy also served as unofficial "race photographer."


Jon's in a yellow shirt and mine is light green. Here we are right before the starting gun.
GO!
This was after a massive hill. I had not walked yet at this point and was struggling a little, BUT the sight of the fam gave me the energy I needed to get up the rest of the hill.
Go Jon, GO!
Our fb friends were there for mucho support, as well:
During the race, the grandmas walked the kids over to the gorgeous "9/11 First Responders" memorial.
Jon ROCKED. Here he is crossing the finish line.
I was pretty far behind him. But, here I am, finally crossing the line.
After the race, the boys had an impromptu yelling fest. Just for fun. Good times.
And then there was gargling practice.
When we continue running and lose a few more pounds, it will all get easier. We plan to keep this up!

No comments: