Thursday, October 22, 2020

HALFWAY THERE (and celebrating D)!

Yesterday marked radiation treatment number 11 of 21, so I was officially halfway through this part of the cancer journey - what a GREAT feeling!

I asked the two techs to pose for a commemorative selfie and they were happy to. 

Monday was another great day - D was completely finished with her treatments and got to ring the bell! She had me film it live on facebook and many of her friends tuned in.
Again, there weren't any dry eyes around.

We exchanged some presents neither one knew about and then she walked out of there.
I have missed her the past couple of days and hope we can get together someplace WAY MORE FUN soon.

I'm feeling physically fine. My skin is starting to get a little pink/tender and I'm beginning to feel the fatigue from the build-up of radiation, but I see the oncologist weekly now and he maintains these are both completely normal side effects even though I'm religiously applying all the recommended creams.

Mentally, things are just okay. I felt better for a bit once surgery was done and treatment was in place, but it's now been over 3 months of thinking constantly about cancer and that wears on a person. It's a definite trip on the struggle bus. COVID complications don't help - OMG how I would LOVE to just run away from here on some fabulous vacation, but that's nearly impossible at this point.

And speaking of transportation, the drive is getting very monotonous - I leave at 6:30 every morning to fight fog and crazy drivers. 

But, if there are no traffic tie-ups, I get time to hang by the Marissa Memorial Fountain for a bit to play Harry Potter Wizards Unite before trekking into the radiation wing.

As of the moment I write this, I've got only 9 more sessions to get through. Here's to hanging in there.

No comments: