Friday, June 12, 2009

Goodbye, Drake (2000-2009)

I just received word that the world lost one of its greatest souls last month: Drake the Boxer. He would have been nine in July.

Drake belonged to one of my beloved clarinet student’s parents, and had been given to them by a family member who found him to be a little too much to handle. This is not at all surprising; Jon and I house-sat for my student’s family often with the main reason being that Drake needed people around him basically at all times, or else he turned to the dark side, exhibiting needy behaviors like eating couch cushions or other household items. Once, even while we were there, he handily destroyed a stuffed piranha his family had picked up on travels to Venezuela. When I sheepishly reported the loss to them, I was relieved to learn that the fish was not one of their most prized possessions, and also, thankfully, that they had purchased two; Drake’s mama then quickly returned from the attic with the identical spare.

What Drake lacked in predictable behavior, though, he definitely made up for in personality. He was one of those dogs whose eyes you would stare into and who would stare right back, seemingly looking right through you, studying you, reminding you that he, when he got right down to it, had your number and knew exactly what you were all about. He was hilarious and serious at the same time, a huge pile of furry love. And the aforementioned behavior issues were not often a problem, especially as he “grew up” to be the ripe old age of 3 or 4. From those years on, all objects in his family’s home could once again breathe a sigh of relief that they might indeed be spared from meeting a bitter end inside those gargantuan jowls.

This is one of my most favorite photos EVER: Jon attempting to look identical to Drake (circa March 2002). Our time spent with that dog has provided many happy memories over the years; we had just started dating a few months before and Drake-sitting together was great fun.

Our love for Drake, and we did love him, definitely inspired us to want a Boxer of our very own. So, we got one. Here’s our Dora (aptly named after the explorer) at the South Texas shelter on the day we adopted her in February of 2006.

We last saw Drake in December of that year on a trip to WV. Here are a couple of photos from that visit.

Dogs are such special, amazing family members. It is so very sad they can’t share humans' life expectancies; all the more reason we should cherish each and every moment with them. Before we know it, we’ll be faced with life without our furry companions.

Drake the Boxer: A good man who will be missed by all whose lives he touched in his gentle, entertaining, unique way.

3 comments:

Elle J said...

What a beautiful post. I especially liked how you described his eyes and the way he would look at his people. So true. Our friends have a boxer and they truly are a gentle breed, although he's a little neurotic too, but aren't we all at times? :) I am sorry you lost a friend.

Katie Parker said...

Dear MaryKathryn!
Thank you so much for your wonderful reflection on Drake. I hope Mom has read it. It means so much to me to read what you wrote because I have not even come close to verbalizing what Drake was all about yet. And I think you are spot on! Thanks for being such a good friend to him. And thanks for taking the time to write. Everyone is so busy these days. It is so nice that you did!
Hello to your family!
Love,
Katie

Jennifer said...

Umm, yeah...I remember that dog. I think he ate the camera that had the pictures from my bachelorette party on it. I think he was doing me a favor...I was probably not behaving appropriately in those pictures. Thanks for sparing me some embarassment, Drake! Sorry he passed away...hopefully he hadn't been sick for a long time.