Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Grateful Heart

"There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart." ~Celia Thaxte

Today marks the final day of summer vacation, as I start school inservices at 8am sharp tomorrow. So, we braved the 110-degree heat index today and took the Grandmas to the zoo, which was really nice, since most people were wise enough to stay indoors and it was not the least bit crowded.


















The past two months have been WONDERFUL. Aside from a few projects around the house, this summer has been spent mostly traveling with the boys and playing with the boys and just hanging out with the boys. When I think about the dramatic cut in that time starting tomorrow, the tendency is to feel a little melancholy.


However, there are many things about tomorrow and the months ahead for which I am extremely grateful: the opportunity to earn money in a struggling economy by teaching kids music, using that $ to help provide for my family, being challenged on a daily basis, and helping secure a happy retirement for Jon and myself.


If I run into a road block or two this school year, I will remember Ms. Thaxte's beautiful words. I am grateful for my career and all the opportunities it offers.

No comments: