Monday, April 14, 2008

Things I'll Miss About South Texas, Part I

I tend to be one of those "grass is always greener" folks. Not a pretty trait, I know. I have destination addiction, according to one of Oprah's former guests - always believing you'll be TRULY happy WHEN this or that thing happens. In my case, it's been a case of geography. I couldn't wait to get out of the small town where I grew up, then I was dying to leave WV altogether after teaching there for a few years. Of course, South TX didn't suit me that well, either. In all cases, however, I have been struck with a major nostalgia bug when it has been almost time to depart, and South TX has been no different. Lately, in true Mary Kathryn fashion, I've been thinking a lot about people and places I [we] will truly miss when we relocate. I plan to highlight each one here, in no particular order. Here is my first installment in the Things I'll Miss About South Texas series. Enjoy, and please do chime in with thoughts if you, too, have any destination addiction issues.

The Trail on 2nd Street in McAllen:
A beautifully-landscaped, lush, miles-long, wide, curvy trail that is - BONUS - pet-friendly (note the puppy water fountain). Our family has spent a lot of time here with aspirations of getting in shape.






No comments: