Sunday, January 4, 2009

Ridiculous things we learned the hard way. This weekend.

(Probably not a very entertaining read, just true, and a necessary therapeutic posting, with hopes that I can wind back down and get some shut-eye...)
  • Running Andrew's vaporizer every night for two weeks in his dimly-lit bedroom leads to the discovery of a gross bunch of mold behind his stuffed animal hammock and wall-hangings. The daughter of a science teacher should have known this would happen.
  • Washing and drying an entire gaggle of stuffed animals takes about one million years.
  • As if the mold in the baby's room wasn't enough, removal of the Christmas tree introduced us to another patch that stained the wood floor of our rental.
  • Moving a piano across the floor by oneself is also hazardous to the health of the aforementioned rented wood floor. Major grooves are now hidden by a large rug.
  • Forgetting both the stroller and the monkey leash on the way to the SC State Museum today led to very sore biceps from carrying around a tired 30-pounder for two hours.
  • Andrew's not yet ready for a toddler bed. We converted his crib this afternoon and it only took one hour before he fell out of it. Awake. Screaming. Terrified parents falling all over ourselves to get into his room. As soon as we were assured he was okay, Jon converted the bed right back to a crib in the next five minutes.
  • Leaving a vaporizer in the hallway to air out overnight is not smart. It will resonate like nothing you've ever heard when you trip on it at 11:00 pm. The baby you just calmed down after the crib fiasco will wake up. Again.

Had better weekends. All in this house but me are finally down for the night, so I'm off to join them. Hope I can keep from injuring myself or others on the way back to bed.

4 comments:

Heidi Ho said...

we live parallel lives, you and I. See my post at roughly the same time! I hate that mold thing!!! That's a real bummer! There has to be a way to fix the floor. Maybe having to invest in a sander and refinishing....yipes! I did the EXACT tripping thing tonight while trying to open our hallway door, girl on the arm. She screamed like a banchee and was another hour before she fell asleep....tripping over our clutter!!! UGH I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!! Good night, friend! Here's to bright tomorrows!

Jennifer said...

Dang. I hate it when I forget the stroller. I'm impressed Andrew likes the monkey thing. I don't think Ben would use one...he won't even wear clothes half the time.

Also, I think Ben rolled out of bed the first night in his big boy bed too, but he only did it once. I had to move him into a bed, though, because he was trying to climb out of the crib...a much worse fall than out of the bed.

If Andrew's not trying to climb out of the crib, I say leave him in it. Danny slept in a crib until he was over 2. I only moved him when he climbed/fell out of the crib one morning.

Hope this week is great!

Grandma Diana said...

It was very entertaining reading! So funny!!!! But I do feel your pain. You tried to climb out of your crib only once when you were 1 1/2 yrs. You fell to the floor, and really cried. Freaked me, but you were okay. You never tried it again. But kids are different. You were never a climber, and Andrew is. You were probably in your crib until you were 4 or so. When we did put you in a double bed, of course I lined the floor with pillows! You crawled around the bed all night for years---never knew how I would find you in the morning---sideways, upside down. You might get a rail and fill in with pillows where it doesn't reach. Or just put his mattress on the floor!!!! Does he fall when he climbs out? Don't know what to tell you since you were the "perfect child"! Hope things are going better. Kiss little Munch for me.

Lydee said...

yuck, vaporizers can be tricky things. I discovered mold last winter. Luckily our house is as dry as the sahara so that cleared up.

I feel your pain on the stroller issue. Once I carried emmy in a snuggli for 3 1/2 hours. I never used it again.

fast work on Jon's part in converting the crib, lol!

btw, blogging does count as reading!