Thursday, February 19, 2009

G.R.I.P.E. Session

Jon's high school percussion studio hosted the first annual Global Rhythms Interactive Parent Experience (G.R.I.P.E.) session at the band hall last night. Besides having a catchy name, it was a great event in which the students demonstrated and taught their parents and other relatives parts of the world percussion pieces they have been working on and will debut on their May 7 concert. They did parts of their Japanese Taiko drumming and and African drumming and dancing pieces. Of course, we know something best when we are able to turn around and teach it to someone else, so I found this evening to be a huge success. Everyone had a lot of fun: the students as teachers, the parents as learners, and the few like Andrew and me who got to enjoy it all from the sidelines.




3 comments:

Elle J said...

Wish my son could have been there!! This sound fabulous! He is learning the drums from my dad. They both would have enjoyed going to this!

sophanne said...

THAT IS AWESOME!~

Lydee said...

very cool!