Sunday, July 29, 2012

Guardians of the Night 5K

It was last night at 9:00pm. 93 degrees.  Hilly. Not easy. Jon's 6th race. My 9th.  Marked mile 70 of my 100 miles in 100 days.
We raced in honor of Fargo, a 5-year-old police dog who was killed on the job in 2011.  Proceeds from the race (massive number of participants - YAY!) go to purchase very expensive bullet-proof vests for the working dogs.

There were policemen running with their gorgeous K-9 cops.  Firemen ran in full gear.  People nearly twice our age flew past us as if we were standing still: a VERY inspirational evening.

See the nice runner giving water to the K-9 that just ran with us?


The beautiful officer Fargo
The following poem is printed on the back of our race shirts alongside a photo of Fargo.  The formatting here is weird because I copied/pasted but you will get the gist. If you can read it without crying, kudos to you.
Guardians Of The Night
Author - Unknown

Trust in me my friend for I am
your comrade.
 I will protect you
with my last breath when all

others have left you.
 And as the
loneliness of the night closes
in, I will be at your side.

Together we will conquer all

obstacles,
And search out
those who might wish harm to

others.
All I ask of you is
compassion, the caring touch

of your hands.
It is for you that I
will unselfishly give my life and

spend my nights unrested.
Although our days together
may be marked by the passing
of the seasons,
 Know that each
day at your side is my reward.

My days are measured by the
coming and going of your
footsteps.
I anticipate them at
every opening of the door.
You are the voice of caring when I
am ill, the voice of authority
when I've done wrong.

Do not chastise me unduly, for
I am your right arm,
The sword
at your side.
I attempt to do
only what you bid of me. I seek

only to please you and remain in your favor.
Together you and I shall
experience a bond only others

like us will understand.
  When
outsiders see us together their
envy will be measured by their
disdain.

I will quietly listen to you and

pass no judgment,
Nor will your
spoken words be repeated;
 I will
remain ever silent,
Ever vigilant,

Ever loyal.
And when our time
together is done and you move
on in the world,
 Remember me
with kind thoughts and tales,
For a time we were unbeatable.
Nothing passed among us
undetected.
If we should meet again on
another street I will gladly take
up your fight.
I am a Police
Working Dog

and together

We are guardians of the night.

No comments: