Sunday, August 19, 2012

Reflections of a Summer

School has started for Jon, Ethan, and me. Andrew and the rest of our district's kiddos start this Thursday. I always get a little melancholy during this time; even though I am looking forward to teaching my students again and fall is my very favorite season, I always seem to wish I had a few more days at home with my boys.  So, tonight, I took a trip down the memory lane of the summer of 2012..... we had so much fun.  I swear it was the best one yet.
The photo is awkward (maybe an awkward family photos website submission?),
but our memory of North Myrtle Beach is a great one.

Ethan and Andrew enjoyed a few days of My Gym camp.  Ethan is pictured here in Mr. Jared's pirate ship.  He's on the bottom right, beside the kid who is pointing.  The boys adored this camp.  Andrew also did EdVenture and Zoo camp.

This summer, we learned Andrew loves snow crab as much as his mom and grandma do. Yum!

A pensive Dora girl, just a few days after ACL surgery.  She is bopping around like crazy now.
Jon snapped this of Andrew at a late July drum corps show in Charlotte.  Here, he's checking out the Santa Clara Vanguard drumline.  He especially loved the cymbal section.

This is also from the corps show.  One of the highlights was apparently rolling down this hill multiple times.

Back at home in our yard, a bumble enjoys the flowers.

This child loves the water.
More H20 fun.  Counted as bath for the evening.  Not kidding.

Being sprayed by your brother is both exhilarating and annoying.

Just a'swingin'

Busy, wet, sweet feet
Dora enjoys backyard fly hunting.  I think she got one here.

We said goodbye to the "Cozy Coupe" this summer.  Both boys have played with it since they were around 1 year old.  It cost us $15 at a yard sale when we first moved to SC.  Good investment.

Ethan took it for one final backyard spin the other day.

I put it out front with this sign at 6 pm.  Dogs barked at 7:30.  I looked, and it was gone.  We are gradually saying goodbye to all the baby and toddler things. :(
There was much running to be had this summer.  This was my course a few days ago: Clemson Extension.  Beautiful.  Then, I temporarily lost my car key in the sand.  But, I found it soon afterward and all was well.
And the swimming.  Ahhh... We all loved it.  We were in our development's pool nearly every day.

Fun.
We checked out a new photographer and were thrilled with the results.  I am taking a workshop with her next month and am really looking forward to it.

She perfectly captured this orneriness.

And more orneriness.

She made us all feel like models that evening.

This is the favorite.
Farewell, summer of 2012.  You were good to us.  Thank you for helping us become ready for this school year and the exciting things on its horizon.

No comments: