Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Medical Oncology Consult and CT Scan for Radiation Mapping

Today was a long, tiring one full of appointments.

First, I met Dr. Stilwell, my medical oncologist. I. LOVE. HER. She is kind and funny and spunky. She took a lot of time to explain everything I've gone through and what I can expect in the future, and drew graphs and charts to help. I was given LOTS of information, and some of it was new: Apparently, pathology discovered a tiny "satellite lesion" beside the main one. It's all good now since everything was removed, but that spread is enough to wig a person out. Still, I was reminded again that is what radiation treatments and hormone-blocking meds are for. We are going to kick this thing completely.

Dr. Stilwell performed an examination and was pleased with the way I've healed. I had a stitch poking out a little and stabbing me in the armpit and she offered to cut that off for me, which was amazing and that's one less thing to be a martyr about. They took more blood at this appointment because apparently there is so much they can learn from it to help determine the best course of treatment. Science rules. My next appointment with her is going to be in six weeks, after all the radiation treatments are done.

This afternoon, I had my CT scan so they could adjust the board I will lie on and map the exact places they plan to zap. There was nothing scary about this, just strange, as so many parts of this entire process have been. They took an image with normal breathing and then one where I held my breath for about 20 seconds. The doctors will compare those images to see if holding my breath made that much of a difference with heart placement. Yes, this is unsettling, but everybody keeps saying the benefits outweigh the risks, and I agree with them. With radiation, the cancer has a less than 3% chance of recurring. Without it, the percentage could be as high as 40%. So, yeah, go ahead and fire away near my vital organs for a few days.

Here I am, getting ready to go into the machine. We didn't end up choosing this board in the end because they didn't like the angle very much once they got me in there. (BTW, a dear friend's mother made the super cool mask and nearly every health professional I've encountered has been in love with it!)

Here's the board they actually ended up using. It's raised up a little more and is actually more comfortable. I hold my arms above my head and rest them in the purple holders. You can see the red laser line they moved around to get me lined up.

After the CT scan, I was given a tour of the treatment facility and shown how to scan my card when I check in each day (yay - I don't have to stop at the front desk anymore, and instead just march in like I own the place). 

The next step is the final "official" mapping appointment right back here in one week (October 6). They will have my blood tests evaluated by then so they will be able to specifically plan everything about treatment. SO. MANY. DANG. STEPS. The therapist told me that I will very likely start my first treatment the next day, on October 7. I am VERY HAPPY there is FINALLY a date for this! This means I'll be done by my birthday. Yippee!


No comments: