Saturday, February 23, 2008

Tales of a Garage Sale

We had our second South Texas garage sale today. Andrew and I are posing here at the END of the first day, but let's flash back......

It was a little chilly in the am, so Andrew got to wear his rarely-used hat.










There were a few "wardrobe malfunctions."









Then it got sunny and beautiful. Thank GOD, because the morning was stressful: folks ringing our doorbell at 7 am, a full HOUR before we advertised we would be opening. That's how they work it down here, I guess.









It actually ended up being a pretty tearful day for MK.... we sold many things my dad had put together and used for many years of his life: two examples are a bookcase he built to house my doll collection and his 1976 Shopsmith lathe. WARNING: Here is the sniff, sniff blog moment: Jon had an excellent idea for the Shopsmith: we are putting the exact amount we got from it directly into Andrew's college account, so his Grandad Welch has a definite contribution for his grandson.










All in all, we really did well. Here are the men at the end of the day - clearly over it (or each other). :O) Wish us luck for tomorrow.

3 comments:

Heidi Ho said...

Jason was salivating over the lathe! He does woodworking and when I read him that he sort of made an "uh, but, ah, ohh" whimpering sound... I reminded him you all are "lightening your load" so to speak. I'm glad it's going to Andrew's college fund. That's a sweet idea. It's all for the greater good! So breathe a deep breath and hunker down for the next series of bartering and bidding on your personal belongings! Yard sales are not easy for me! I'm a notorious sentimental pack rat! I don't know what I would do if I had belongings that were actually worth a darn! By the way, love the pics!

Mountain Mama said...

That's a nice photo montage of the day! What a nice idea- to put it towards Andrew's college fund.

Jennifer said...

After having just seen the Lion King, I'm going to make a metaphor based on the show. I love the part where Mufasa shows Simba the stars and says those are all the kings of the past looking down at us and people don't really die because they are in us. Your dad is still here even if a lot of his "stuff" isn't. He's in you and he's in Andrew. Good suggestion, Jon! Let's just hope Andrew doesn't flunk out of college--God knows I am hoping the same for my wild boys.