Friday, March 28, 2008

Clyde Jr. 1927-2008


My grandfather passed away early this morning, one month before his 81st birthday. He led a simple, good life and was loved by everyone he met. He would tell his tales of the Navy to anyone who would listen. He worked in a glass factory for 50 years and enjoyed growing daylilies and watching the birds when he retired. He did get to meet his two-month-old great-grandson Andrew this past August when we were in for Heidi's wedding (Heidi, your wedding has ended up being a blessing in so many unforseen ways). I was his first grandchild, and will miss him terribly. Although I am very sad to have to miss being in WV for his services, I know that he will have many family members around to celebrate the life of such an angel.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really very sorry for your loss...

Jennifer said...

There's nothing to say really except that I hope everyone copes well with his passing and is able to focus on his long, happy life. I'm sorry to hear about it.

Mary Kathryn said...

Hey, just knowing we're in your thoughts is enough. Thanks SO much.

Heidi Ho said...

MK,

I JUST read this...it's Saturday at 1:00pm. I am so very sorry!!!!!! Your grandpa was such a lovely man! I felt very special whenever he was around. He had a way to make you feel like you were the most interesting person in the room. His stories of all the "dunkle's" he met in the military were always so interesting to me. He was a very kind and special man.

I'm thinking about you and your family!! If there is something I can do, please let me know. When are the services????

Mary Kathryn said...

Thanks, Heidi. He loved you. I'm bummed because the cheapest tickets we found were $900 and that is just not an option. Mom and Grandma said they'd be mad if I DID drag Andrew to WV by myself and spend all that money. Glad they understand. His viewing is Sunday from 4 to 8 and the funeral is Monday at 11 or 11:30. Everything is at McCullough's in Pennsboro.

heather said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your family are in my prayers.

scottwindom said...

I was sad to hear of Junior's passing. Ellie and I visited yesterday afternoon with your family and they all seemed to be doing well. I know that the past year has been difficult for both your mom and grandmother.

We shared a few tears and a few laughs. The fellowship is a compfort to all.

Your flowers are beautiful and they are right beside your grandpa and your pictures are prominantly displayed, as well as this blog entry.

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.

Lo said...

Mary Kathryn,

I am so sorry to hear of your Grandad's passing. I have so many fond chilhood memories of he and your Grandma at your house, at their home in Pennsboro, at T-ball games. My dearest thoughts are with you, your Grandma, and especially with your mom. I am certain that even though you could not make it home for the services, that your words will be a great comfort to her both today and throughout this trying period. You are a blessing of a child and grandchild. Much love. Lori