Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Enlisting the help of Emily Post


ANYONE'S thoughts are appreciated here...

We have been invited to a lot of weddings lately. That is a good thing - people like us. Or do they??? Over the past couple of years, we have been invited to ten weddings, and we received invitations to some of them a week or so before the blessed event was set to take place. One of the prospective brides even called the week I gave birth to Andrew (knowing that), got our address, and sent an invitation to the wedding that was happening the following week (that we were obviously not going to be able to attend). It makes one wonder.... are the majority of prospective brides/grooms just in it for the gifts, or do they actually want our company at one of their most important life events? Here is the MOST ANNOYING part of it all: Out of the past ten weddings we have been invited to and subsequently sent presents for, THREE brides have sent thank-you notes. To this day, I still have no idea whether or not those other seven received their gifts from us. And you guessed it - we are still awaiting any type of acknowledgement about the gift we mailed to the bride who invited us when Andrew was born (9 months ago).

Again, I am thankful to be invited to these events - God knows the social outlets are few and far-between when you become a new parent. However, I can't help but ask, Am I too old-fashioned to expect a hand-written note after my careful review of couples' registries, trapsing up and down the aisles of Bed, Bath, and Beyond, selecting, purchasing, wrapping, and shipping a gift, or is my behavior just a simple expectation of today's wedding guests and I should get over it? Please check out the poll on the right and cast your vote.

5 comments:

Mountain Mama said...

I think inviting you with little notice is pretty poor form.

I voted that a thank you note in any form (email) is necessary, even though I think a handwritten note is by far superior. Handwritten is ideal, but recognizing how hard it can be adjusting to a new life, I say an email thank you is better than nothing. It would at least be an acknowledgment of your gift!

I am sure Emily Post would disagree.

heather said...

If someone isn't too busy to send wedding invitations and register for gifts then they shouldn't be too busy to thank those who took the time to give the gift. That's just rude.

Jennifer said...

It's rude. The late notice is unacceptable and the absence of a thank you note is inexcusable.

I once heard that you have up to a year after the wedding to send a thank you note. Come on people, you can't get a thank you note out in a year? Please. You can buy pre-printed thank you notes and at least send out a general thank you without having to write anything accept an address on the envelope.

People are rude and are mostly concerned with themselves and their own comfort and convenience. It's wrong.

Heidi Ho said...

I remembered to send a thank you note for our wedding. OH NO....tell me you got yours!!!! hahaha...I know I totally botched up Christmas this year for everyone, but I do have good intentions to make that up! I think hand written notes are the best, but I'll be honest too.....Like Laura said, the multiple changes create havoc on your otherwise normal organization before the wedding.. I had many moments where I'd find some already opened, wrinkled up wedding card in the pile of "need to be filed" mail...I'd ask my husband, "What's this???" And he'd say, "Oh yeah, they sent that a couple weeks ago...we got a present too, but I can't remember which one it was!" UGH!!! Embarrassing moments!!! The world is definitly changing and some of us aren't as good at the organized parts of it!!! I do agree that the thank you note is always the best!!! Late invites are not great either, I can see a week or two late, but the week of the wedding, come on now people!!!

Mary Kathryn said...

Oooo...love the comments by all - thanks! Ha ha Heidi - yes, we got your many nice notes this summer. :O) I am in a much better mood today; last night's post was composed after hours of shopping, wrapping, and getting ready to mail WEDDING GIFTS. :O) Heather, I agree wholeheartedly - couples have time to register/send invitations, and then suddenly some seem to not have [TAKE] the time to go ahead and send out a simple, "Hey, we got your gift." AAARRRRGH, the humanity.