Thursday, October 2, 2008

Beauty in Surprising Places

My father's family's cemetery lies in one of the most rural places I have ever ventured to - the Mellin Ridge in Ritchie County, West Virginia. It is breathtakingly beautiful there, which I admit I have only recently discovered; I took it for granted when I lived in the state. I can, however, finally fully appreciate its natural beauty and history on so many levels. My father is buried there, as well as his parents and many other amazing members of our family tree. Neither Jon, nor Andrew got to meet Dad (he died suddenly and surprisingly 12 years ago) but seeing our precious boy run circles around his grandad's headstone this beautiful fall afternoon (and all over the cemetery, for that matter) was extremely moving and, well, beautiful.





5 comments:

Elle J said...

No words can describe the beauty in these photos. Blessings to you all on this glorious day in your life. Your dad is proud.

Unknown said...

Its hard to think of the right thing to say here. I love you both so much and I cant wait for you to be home. I will see you Saturday. Drive safe.-Jon

Jennifer said...

Tears in my eyes. I miss you and little Andrew monkey.

Heidi Ho said...

Ahhh.. Love in so many ways. So many changes in your life in 12 years. He'd be very proud. Beautiful pics. We miss you already.

Anonymous said...

That touches my heart...