Thursday, December 29, 2011

a post on friendship, trust, and the melding of the digital world and the "real" world...

This is a very special envelope.

Here's why.

I have a special blog friend. I have not met this person, but we have been following each other's blogs for over three years now.  I wish I could remember how or why I stumbled across her blog (or did she stumble upon mine first?) but I suppose the history is unimportant here; we have enjoyed each other's "company" and the triumphs and challenges each other's families have faced. Our interest in blogging alone has made us friends.

My blog friend lives in the opposite part of the country.  She is an amazing woman who always puts family first but still manages to weave in many wonderful charitable opportunities.  She is generous and selfless and kind. She is very wisely guarded about her name and names of her family members. I wish to respect that and avoid blowing her cover. 

That is all the more reason that I find this envelope really interesting.

A year or so ago, she found me on facebook and suggested we open that level of trust by becoming fb friends.  I then learned her real name, and many other interesting things about her and her family.

Then, a month or so ago, a situation arose where she needed to mail me something.  So, I sent along our snail mail address.  The item she sent actually arrived from a secondary source and that was that.

THEN, the other day, much to my excitement and surprise, I received a Christmas card, in the actual mailbox, from my blog friend!  It was really neat seeing her handwriting and return address for the very first time, as well as hold a photo card in my hand, rather than viewing her family photo on my computer, as I had done for so many years.

I love that we are friends, and I know we will meet in person someday.  But for now, I will say how happy I am that we have agreed to trust each other on a new level and merge the digital world with the real, meaningful, fun world of written correspondence.  Thank you, friend.

No comments: