Sunday, June 15, 2008

Bittersweet Memories and New Ones in the Making

Happy Father's Day to all the current and prospective dads out there. Finally, thanks to Andrew, this day can be a happy one again for Jon and me; my dad has been gone now for 12 years and Jon's for 4. Of course, we think about them each day. I was recently reminded of one of my dad's favorite Robert Frost poems, and it seems particularly appropriate these days since, as Charles Andrew Welch would occasionally say, the world seems to be going "to Hell in a hand basket." Here's Frost's Fire and Ice:
Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I've tasted of desire,
I hold with those who favor fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.

1 comment:

Lydee said...

lovely post, like the poem and the music too!