Monday, August 10, 2020

Genes

Today, I had my genetic counseling appointment. We discussed my family history and then my blood was drawn. They are looking for the BRCA (breast cancer) gene mutation. If I have it, we might be looking at a recurrence down the road, so we will probably decide to do a bilateral mastectomy. If I am negative (results come in a week), then we might still have just the lumpectomy. My MRI this Friday will also help inform part of the puzzle, as they will be looking for other previously undetectable spots in both breasts.

There is always waiting for one result or another. But, I am thankful the scientists involved have done SO MUCH WORK over the decades to get to this point and get me the best treatment available at this time in life.

Prayers are appreciated for great news from both the genetic test and Friday's MRI.

No comments: