Thursday, August 27, 2020

MRI-Guided Biopsy: Not gonna sugarcoat this one

Today I had my MRI-guided biopsy. It was scheduled so the pathologists could diagnose the second spot that's been too small to see with mammography. So, far, it's been the most challenging procedure during this journey (except the WAITING, as I've said many times before..... the waiting trumps everything).

I was face down on the same MRI table like before, and this time, the tech positioned my breast into what was like a tiny milk crate to help the doctor position the needle accurately (a GOOD thing). They slid me in, took photos, slid me out, repositioned, slid me in..... you get it. It was totally the "Hokey Pokey" of procedures. After a few minutes they inserted the contrast agent via IV and then on this slide out, the fun began: numbing with a lidocaine shot, then positioning of the tissue extractor, then more photos, then the extraction itself which, to me HURT but to them was described as some "discomfort." The extractor sounds like a drill (also a bit unnerving) and I am thankful I DID NOT LOOK at the needle itself, because the doctor had to go basically as deep into my breast as anyone could have gone, and also about 6 different times. He kept saying "one more time" like the worst band director ever, and I was pretty happy when he promised this one would TRULY be the last time. Afterward, I bled a LOT. I was bandaged and my chest was wrapped pretty much like a mummy, and then I thankfully ran briskly walked out of that place, for what I hope is the last time ever. I equate this experience to that of a dentist drilling for a cavity, except with your boob, the loud MRI machine, and lots more blood than you think should be leaking out of you. Thankfully, my cancer club sisters had warned me to take some extra strength tylenol a few minutes before going in, which I did, and I know that made it way more tolerable.


My dear school friend took me to the appointment and then my dear sweet husband and family picked me up. I got out of the medieval torture chamber procedure pretty early, so I had some time to kill. I bought this shirt at the gift shop and am in love.


After that, I walked around the beautiful hospital grounds for a while and plopped myself down beside this beautiful fountain, which doubled as a Harry Potter Wizards Unite greenhouse, so I entertained myself there by playing my game until Jon made it.

Tomorrow, we meet with my surgeon to hopefully get the results and all the answers we need to schedule surgery. That date has been LONG AWAITED.

No comments: